LCA & Decarbonization Specialist (m/f/x)
Munich, Bayern, GermanyProduct and Engineering
About Tanso 🌍
One key barrier to moving towards a climate-neutral economy is the lack of data availability and transparency across companies. Aiming to remove this structural barrier, we leverage the power of data and automation to accelerate the decarbonization of manufacturing companies. As a product-driven company, we’re using state-of-the-art technology and scientific research to tackle climate change the right way.
We’re developing the climate intelligence suite that enables a low-carbon economy - by automating processes in carbon accounting and laying the analytical foundation that is needed for effective emission reduction. If you are fascinated by developing technology that can help tackle climate change, we're the right place for you.
Your Objectives 🎯
Join our team and take an active role in accelerating the decarbonization of the industry. Your main objective is to ensure the compliance and scientific rigorousness of the Tanso software with state-of-the-art carbon accounting methodologies and standards. As an LCA & Decarbonization Specialist, you will work in close collaboration with the product team to develop features and data models to automate standard conform carbon footprints and enable decarbonization measures. Additionally, you will with the customer success team support leading global manufacturers to effectively disclose emissions in line with relevant regulations (e.g. CSRD, CBAM, etc) and customer requirements, having ripple effects for decarbonizing whole supply chains. We expect a strong background in LCA & carbon calculations, be it either on a corporate (CCF) or product (PCF) level, preferably both. You should have a strong curiosity for emissions in the manufacturing industry and supply chains, and the desire to bring carbon accounting from blind estimations to transparently disclosed scientific-based calculations, from theory to practice.
Your Responsibilities 📑
- Carry out carbon accounting research and analyses in the areas of environmental analysis (e.g. life cycle assessments), decarbonization and net-zero targets, circular economy, product-related environmental specifications, and carbon management
- Identify decarbonization use cases, and reduction alternatives (e.g. recycling rate, energy intensity, etc.) and benchmarking datasets of industries, products, components, etc.
- Ensure compliance, consistency, and scientific rigorousness in the calculation models and methodology of our carbon accounting software to the latest standards and regulations as well as leading certification processes (e.g. TÜV)
- Work closely with our product team to develop and feedback on new product features and internal tooling, from ideation to delivery, to automate carbon management and reporting
- In close cooperation with founders, support industrial initiatives and represent Tanso in expert groups (e.g. VDMA) and in network collaborations and webinars for driving and educating the industry on the topic of carbon accounting
- Establish and expand your sustainability expertise and network by building relationships with external experts, technical and scientific institutions, industrial associations, and regulatory authorities
What We Offer 👐🏼
- Equity package for ownership in the company as part of our VSOP program
A strong 360° feedback culture that strives for continuous improvement
A highly motivated environment where you can grow and learn by working on ambitious challenges together in cross-functional teams
Subsidized sport subscription membership (gym, yoga, swimming, etc.) membership via EGYM Wellpass
A great, modern, and sustainable office in the middle of Munich
Loads of fun with amazing colleagues and team events you will not forget
Recruiting Process 🏼🏼
1. Introduction call with Saskia - get to know Tanso and ask all of your questions
2. Case Interview - solve a typical carbon calculations/LCA challenge
3. Your role at Tanso - deep dive into the role, growth opportunities and meet a team member
4. Offer - congrats, we’d love to have you on the team! It’s now time to discuss the details
Our Values 💚
- 🕊️ Trust in people: We trust that people are by default working for the right reasons and having good intentions.
- 🧠 Learning culture: Direct, actionable and frequent feedback (among each other, upwards, downwards). Embrace the unknown (if you ask a good question, it's likely this already makes you the person with the most knowledge about the topic).
- 🧗♀️ Never let another person fail: We're always there for each other as a team. If it's urgent and important we make it a priority together.
- 🗣️ Honesty and direct communication: Honesty isn't a one way street - it requires everyone to allow for a safe environment to grow together. Being bold but always humble and respectful.
- 🤜 Ownership & At cause attitude: At cause culture - If it's broken, let's fix it. Embrace the things we're not good at yet and empower every team member to be best equipped to deliver at their best. We'll make (many) mistakes - Let's celebrate our f*ck ups but let's make sure that we flag issues early and offer full transparency on roadblocks.
Equal Opportunities for Everyone 🤍
Tanso is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace and celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We are open to all groups of people without regard to age, color, national origin, race, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, or any other legally protected characteristics.
- You have several years (min. 2 years) of industry or academic (Ph.D.) experience in the field of manufacturing and/or environmental sciences, natural science, or a related field
- You have experience in Sustainability / Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) / Material flow analysis and a deep understanding of carbon accounting and life cycle assessment methodologies (e.g. GHG, SBTi, ISO14040/44/64/67 or EN15804)
- You are familiar with emission databases such as DBEIS, Ecoinvent, GaBi, and EXIOBASE and preferably have practical experience in using an LCA software tool (e.g. Brightway, SimaPro, Umberto, etc.)
- You are analytical, structured, and self-reliant, and have excellent teamwork, communication, and project management skills
- You have a high level of customer-centricity and a strong curiosity for data and software
- You have a passion for the field of climate change, resource efficiency, energy, sustainable materials, circular economy, and supply chains, and strive to use your skills to accelerate the decarbonization of the industry
- You are fluent in German and English and open to relocating to Munich